Hi, for a few weeks my school has been collecting money to give presents to a school that is poor. We finally reached our goal of 100-300 toys .
I went with my mom and brothers and sister and we helped Santa give out toys . Oliver and Abby were giving the toys instead of Santa which was not good . The boys got trucks of different colors and the girls little dolls that smell like strawberry ,and the babies got little lady bugs.
Once or twice I helped some kids up the stairs . I was amazed how fast I could make friends . This little girl called Maria Fernanda came up to me and asked me some questions (she asked if I was Santa's friend and i said yes) The feeling was great to give presents instead of receive them. Next year count me in.
it is better to give than to receive -Grace
(writing nearly a year after the fact).
This was such a special moment for our family. I really wanted my children to always remember it. And sadly it was so special I never had the right time to give it the right attention.
The kids' school, Esfera Escola Internacional, started a collection of funds in order to give Christmas for another school. Esfera is the most privileged school in the city. And I am assuming that the other school is one of the least privileged school in the city. Our family was happy to donate some money, but I also really wanted my kids to have the opportunity to see where the money went.
So we went to the school that afternoon and filled up our car with as many presents as we could (and still fit in all my kids too.) It was exciting. I followed the other cars from the school employees and one other family who were helping. It's a good thing too since my GPS was not cooperating that day.
We arrived at the school and unloaded everything that we loaded in.
Then we had a short tour of the school. A lot of kids with very limited resources and a lot of dedicated teachers and helpers. I thought of how most of these kids would have so little or nothing at all for Christmas. And in contrast the thought of the excess our kids and others in America get, just made me a little sad.
Soon we got all the presents put on the stage. Then they brought the different classes out according to age.
Felix and Miles even were a little sad when we were unloading that they weren't getting any presents. But when they started to give them out they were so happy and excited. The true joy and meaning of Christmas is in the giving.
After some presents were given out, some of my kids would help the smaller kids open their packages. Big Trucks, Spinning Lady Bugs, Baby Dolls, these chidren were so thrilled. I just wondered how much it all cost - these things you can get for $10 or under in the US were probably $30 or more.
There was a little girl that really talked a lot to Grace. She was such a sweet girl. After school she met her family on the street. They were SO excited for the small gift the girl had. And as we waved and pulled out of the parking lot, they shouted, "Obrigada!"
Yes, it is WAY better to give than to receive!
When I got to the photo of Abby with the little girls I started to cry. I'm happy you all had this experience and thanks for sharing it. 💗
ReplyDelete