Can you believe a woman who was afraid to go outside her neighborhood 7 months ago is now driving all by her lonesome two hours to the closest temple?
For my "birthday trip" I chose to go to the temple in Campinas. And since I didn't know if Jamison had to work Saturday or not, I didn't really plan ahead. We could possibly get a babysitter from 7 am to 3 pm so we could go together, but it is hard to do that at 10:30 the night before.
So off I went.
Things were going smoothly until about 20 minutes down the freeway I remembered the only set of keys to the "big car" was in my purse next to me. So I had to turn around and head back.
It really reminded me of life and changes we make for the better. The goal, the destination, the temple for me today is where we are trying to go. Sometimes along the way we realize we made a mistake. We can always stop and turn around and fix it, but it sure is a lot easier to do it right the first time! It only added an hour to my two hour trip.
I really did consider not going. Was I really up for a three hour drive? I had to decide, and I am so grateful I decided to keep on going instead of just going back.
I had a chance to listen to general conference. What an incredible way to pass the time. So many times I just wanted to cry out, "yes! That is how I want my life!" It was so uplifting. I will have to add some of my favorite things (but it will be awhile since I couldn't take notes while driving.) Also last conference (in Oct) I missed listening to it and it took 6 months for me to catch up on reading all the talks! It was awesome to listen to 2.5 sessions today!
The drive was pretty rainy. At one point it was scary the rain was so hard I could hardly see the road. But I made it, and without a GPS. I remember the temple was on a hill and I kept looking at all the hills as I got closer. You should have seen my huge smile when I finally saw it! I made it. I didn't get lost! I didn't get pulled over. I didn't crash during a blinding rain storm! And I made it in perfect time for a session to start (they start every 45 minutes.)
I just LOVE the faithful saints here in Brazil. They are so beautiful inside and out! Everyone was so kind and helped me. I just couldn't get over how amazing they are and how lucky I am to be here among them.
After the session, I saw a dear friend from church there. She was surprised I drove all the way. but it was so good to see her, she was walking in and I was walking out at just the same moment.
I went to the church store, but it looked like the line to check out was about an hour long. I didn't want Jamison to have that extra hour, and I can buy things online. Then I went to the cafeteria for lunch. After standing in line for about twenty minutes because they ran out of rice and beans, I sat down with salad and a cheeseburger with an egg on it (yay for protein!) Then someone said my name.
It was another friend who I happened to meet! I am so lucky. This is Josy. She is worth a whole other post. But it was such a joy to see her.
I had a good drive home and came home to the best family in the world. I know your families are pretty amazing, but I couldn't believe how awesome mine was. And I guess that will have to be another post too! Stay tuned.
I must end with how grateful I am for Jamison's great support. He had no problem with me being gone most of a Saturday. And he had perfect faith that I could drive it without any problems. Plus just wait until you see what was waiting for me when I got home.

Blessed Kris.
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Kris!!!!!!!!!!!!! So many good things in one day.