I had the missionaries from church over for lunch and asked my Portuguese teacher to help me make some good Brazilian rice. It turns out to be the best Brazilian rice I have had in Brazil and I will share it with you! (one of the missionaries is from Utah, so I also made mac and cheese!)
Best Brazilian Rice
2 cups rice
4 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Oil, enough to just cover bottom of the pan
Salt
Put rice in a mesh colander and rinse well. Set aside.
Soak garlic in water to make it easier to peel (opt)
Heat the water in a separate pot (or microwave) it needs to be hot when you add it to the rice later.
Put oil in sauce pan then add onion and garlic cook for a bit (until it softens)
Add rice and cook for a while, like 5 minutes. Stirring constantly (this part was hard for me and my friend laughed that I was so weak). Then add the hot water to the rice. Now here is something new, taste the water with a spoon, you know, like soup. Then add salt until the water tastes good.
DON'T COVER.
On high heat boil the water/rice for about 10 minutes. Until the water looks absorbed at the top.
Then add a little more water, turn the heat to low, and cover. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Until all the water is absorbed at the bottom of the pan.
If you want it super fancy you can add parsley or green onion, but I haven't tried that yet, I guess that is for the next lesson.
Sounds great. We will try it.
ReplyDeleteThank you thank you!
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted a good recipe that I could follow! We will have to try it.
Are you going to have her teach you how to make beans. I tried to make them once but they weren't that good. And my pressure cooker hasn't been used since :-)
Sounds delicious. I'll let you make it for me. ha ha
ReplyDelete