Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Tale of Two Cavities

Today the twins had to get fillings at the dentist. I have learned a valuable lesson, get a Flouride prescription for the kids in Brazil! Miles had four cavities. And Felix had two.

We go to a pediatric dentist who suggested a sedative for Miles. I thought that would be great. Unfortunately it didn't work out so great. Miles did great on the first filling. But by the second he was squirming and trying to grab at dental tools. By the third and fourth he was trying to squirm out of the chair. It was horrible to see my sweet boy go through that. I just had to keep it in perspective. It is for his own good and it won't last too long (about an hour total). And it could be so much worse. You only need to walk down the halls of Primary Children's Hospital to know it could be so much worse. We even didn't even try to do the front teeth, the dentist said she couldn't even try with all the struggle.

By the time we were done he was just in tears and wanted to go home immediately. We had to wait for Jamison to bring Felix and that seven minutes seemed so long to poor Miles.

And then I got to start all over again with Felix. I had to try to wipe the last experience out of my m ind and try to start fresh. Felix hopped up in the chair and opened his mouth wide with excitement and cooperation. I thought, "that will be the last smile I see for a while."

Felix got laughing gas. He watched a movie on some goggles, he chose Tangled. He didn't like the novocaine shot and squirmed a bit. But the kid actually giggled when it came to drilling the tooth. I couldn't believe it. The first tooth was no problem. The second he was still totally cooperative, even when they had to kind of redo it.

He hopped out of the chair (just a little wobbly) chose his prize and spent some time playing with the waiting room toys. The worst thing from Felix was he would bite his numbed lip. He would bite it hard. He has a swollen bottom lip now, but at least it isn't bleeding.

So cavities are now the enemy. And with Flouride on our side I hope to have a better check up in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment