Our second Halloween this year was actually on Halloween. Our condo complex has a trick or treat. Those who want to participate turn their outside lights on (and usually have some kind of decor out).
I also took the opportunity to invite some friends over for a Halloween party. My kids were so excited for Halloween this year we even made a count down chain for it (my Brazilian friend was so impressed with the idea, I guess a count down chain isn't a globally known idea)
I was a little worried about inviting 30 kids over plus about 14 adults to my small house. But it all worked out great. We had a great mix of dear neighbors, amazing friends from church, and new friends from our international club here. I made some white chili with chicken, quesadillas, my friend brought cupcakes, and other people brought chips. We had a good party.
We played some games. We did some crafts. We made zombie blood (cornstarch and water). We went trick or treating. We got a lot more than four houses and it was a lot less walking than two miles and no massive hills. I did go in the car to rescue Abby, Miles and Felix and my new friend who is eight months pregnant. We had a nice ride home and relaxed waiting for the others.
Lots of kids came to our house trick or treating. There were actually a lot more kids than I think I have ever had in America. It was mostly teenagers though who just wanted free candy, most didn't even dress up. Lame.
| Our guests who did know how to dress up |
| We were quite the crowd to descend on our neighbors |
| Covering more ground on the bike. This kid adored trick or treating. He had the biggest smile on his face. |
Speaking of dressing up. It is the first Halloween in years that I haven't dressed up. (Lame!) I could have, I just didn't think about it getting ready for the party. It is a little sad to break the streak decades old, but Jamison sure isn't sad about it. He really doesn't like all the time, energy, expense, and stress that usually goes into my Halloween ideas.
Jamison is great and really impressed my friends when he walked home from work and came straight to the kitchen and said "Where do you want me?" and I put him straight into making quesadillas so I could get into playing some games. He sure is a good sport, and I did remind him, "No matter what I ask you to do, remember you don't have to dress up in some crazy costume idea, so you have already come out a head this holiday."
You don't know her but one of my biggest helps for the party was my 16-year old neighbor and soccer partner, Audrey.
She is from the Detroit area. She was amazing. She was the reason that most of my ideas actually got done (like decorating, making goodie bags for the kids to take home, entertaining my kids so I could cook.) I was actually able to enjoy the party instead of being worried about the things I forgot to do. She came two days early and helped me. She came early on the day of and helped me. She even stayed late after the party and helped me clean up. She is golden!
It was a little hard to see all the great costumes and parties at home. We sure miss everyone. But we had a good Halloween and are really looking forward to being home for Christmas this year!
You don't know her but one of my biggest helps for the party was my 16-year old neighbor and soccer partner, Audrey.
| My friends Audrey and Jan. Jan supplied the crafts and most of the decorations. Audrey helped me do so much, see below. |
She is from the Detroit area. She was amazing. She was the reason that most of my ideas actually got done (like decorating, making goodie bags for the kids to take home, entertaining my kids so I could cook.) I was actually able to enjoy the party instead of being worried about the things I forgot to do. She came two days early and helped me. She came early on the day of and helped me. She even stayed late after the party and helped me clean up. She is golden!
It was a little hard to see all the great costumes and parties at home. We sure miss everyone. But we had a good Halloween and are really looking forward to being home for Christmas this year!



All I heard was "home for Christmas this year." Whoo hoooooo!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great time. Your jack-o-lantern looked a little "green" though.
ReplyDeleteWe missed you and your family. It's not quite the same without the Pexton's. Next year we can make up for it.
Do you have a time-frame for when you will be here for Christmas? I'm starting on the wheelbarrow this week.
Hooray for good friends! Is Audrey from Bloomfield Hills or Cranbrook perchance?
ReplyDelete