Sorry for TMI but I just sweat.
I try to hold off running the air conditioner until the big kids get home from school.
Last week though we actually had rain! What a blessed day!
It rained four days in a row. The first day our neighborhood was completely dry and just five minutes over they had a small flood. Crazy.
We had a wonderful Sunday afternoon rain storm, it rained so heavily that I thought it was trying to make up for four weeks of no rain in just one day.
Our roof started leaking again. In our bedroom and in the kitchen. The kitchen leak lasted for two days.
It stopped when we realized it wasn't from the rain but from the water heater. So Jamison had to climbed up to the attic and disconnect the hot water that is heated by three solar panels. We switched to the electric heater. But I don't think the heater worked very well since we have had a couple of days of cold showers. So I gave up trying to use our bathroom shower, that works like this.
(Yes that is an electrical outlet right above the shower. )
(Yes that is an electrical outlet right above the shower. )
And tried the shower in the backyard bathroom (for the maid's quarters, a live-in maid! Wouldn't that be nice!). It was warm true, but just the tiniest amount of water comes through.
I always think of my awesome Brother in Law who brings his own shower head (and tools) to hotels. I think this shower would drive him crazy! This kind works by running the water of electrically heated coils. So if you want a warmer shower you need a trickle of water so it has more time to absorb the heat from the coils.
Washing soap out of your hair is impossible (so back to the cold shower for that). Then I made a super great discovery.
I always think of my awesome Brother in Law who brings his own shower head (and tools) to hotels. I think this shower would drive him crazy! This kind works by running the water of electrically heated coils. So if you want a warmer shower you need a trickle of water so it has more time to absorb the heat from the coils.
Washing soap out of your hair is impossible (so back to the cold shower for that). Then I made a super great discovery.
Sure it was like washing your hair with the sink sprayer, but it was warm, AND concentrated.
We waited four days because they were sending a guy over to fix it. We'll he came on Friday. But he was a plumber and wasn't going to get up on our roof. He wasn't too happy about climbing in our attic either. I really doubted his ability to get me the hot water that I really wanted. He did offer a good suggestion, to push the solar panels a bit so it would connect with pipes again. But he wasn't going to try it. So . . . .
Saturday morning Jamison climbs up to the roof and does it. Awesome. Apparently the rain storm Sunday had enough enough strong wind to blow the panels out of position thus disconnecting the solar heater from the water supply. (or something, I never really did see it, so I can't really explain it)
Thanks for taking care of us Jamison. Which also includes fixing a front door that would not open before he flies to Germany for a few days this week. He was very caring about getting us all ready for a few days without him. He even bought a big jug of water so I could have my cold water. He is worried about us but I think we will manage. I told him I am taking my expectations down a notch or two.
If they are already low, the next few days will be abysmal.
For the record, non-water saving shower heads are awesome! (and maybe illegal in some states) :-)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you don't have to use the electric shower head any more! I have "fond" memories of them - especially turning down the water pressure to a trickle so that the water has more time to heat up before it comes out.
ReplyDelete