Sunday, June 2, 2013

Our 4 day weekend, 2 of 3

The best part of today

Oliver: "surfing lessons. I learned how to surf and how to go onto waves and learned not to fall out."



Felix: "sleeping"

Abby: "surfing. I loved the one time I got it right"



Grace: "making sand cookies with Abby"

Miles: "getting my clothes on and ready to go." (from the beach)

Kris: I loved watching Jamison, Grace and Oliver all catch the same wave while body surfing. And watching Oliver and Abby learn to surf for the first time. I loved Miles cuddling on my lap and falling asleep. I love Felix playing in the water that he used to be terrified of. It was cool to touch a jelly fish that washed up on the beach (apparently they don't "burn" you when they are dead says a brazilian boy on the beach.)


Now the details.  We drove about 30 minutes further down the coast to Baleia.  I loved it immediately as you saw tons of surfers unloading their gear from their cars. 

I love this picture.  My kids patiently waiting for us to unload all the beach gear whilst a local walks one way and the surfer walks the other. 

We actually got a little bit of blue sky for a moment or two.

We really planned to spend an hour or so at this beach then go back to the beach by the hotel.  But we had such a great time we stayed all day.  So we needed some lunch.  The kids had Peanut Butter Sandwiches and Grace, Jamison and I had grilled cheese.  Not a sandwich, a big piece of cheese on a stick that they put on the grill.  I walked all the way down the beach to find some, and then the guy I bought it from followed us back to our "camp" and I got one more. 

Here is the video of him cooking for us.  The bottom of the metal thing is filled with coals.  He swings it back and forth to keep them live.  The grate is above that where they lay the cheese sticks and his cooler has cheese and condiments.  (I was also hoping for a stick of chicken but he didn't have them). 


At the end of the day we saw some kids learning to surf.  We found out how much it cost ($15/half hour) and we talked Oliver into trying it and Abby certainly wanted to follow.  It was so cool.  I wanted to learn too, but I think I'm a little too old for that.  I guess I will just live vicariously.

1 comment:

  1. So cool you got video of them surfing. I loved Oliver's shaking hands of excitement during his ride, and Abby yelling that yay, he'll get candy!

    You are not too old to learn to surf. DO IT.

    ReplyDelete