Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Daily Life

I am having a hard time writing about daily life, no trips to Rio, no days at the beach, no snakes along our rain forest trail. 

But I got a great email from my sister about daily life for them and I loved it.  So maybe some of you care about our daily life even if it isn't a great adventure.

On Sunday night we had the  missionaries over for a Family Home Evening we invited a lot of people, and some of them came.  One is a recent convert who came with her two grandchildren.  One was a lady and her son from our ward. And one was a student from my English class.  I tried to give a lesson in Portuguese, it went OK, I still have a lot to learn.  We did a game, Don't Eat Pete.  And had a treat.  I can't believe how much work went into an hour or so of FHE.  I was so glad my student could come, but maybe I should have done it in English, she probably could have understood more.

On Monday night we had another Family Home Evening (I kind of have a hard time saying no, we really didn't do much for the first couple of weeks)  This one was for a ward missionary, I told her she could invite anyone who wanted to come.  It turned out to be 4 families and some friends.  (One recently baptized family, two families from the ward, and one part-member family, and some other people who I don't know how they were connected, so we will just call them friends)

They were all so nice and wonderful.  We started in the kitchen eating cinnamon rolls (I thought it was a little backwards since we END with a treat, but my friend who made them wanted to eat them warm, no problem).  The friends who have never been to my house before commented on how big our house was, which was a good perspective to hear.  It feels pretty small when the kids are all running around and playing.  But after everyone left it felt pretty empty without them.

I started with the same lesson as Sunday, but either my Portuguese wasn't good enough or it was pretty boring, so it got taken over by people sharing their experiences, which was so much better than me speaking in bad Portuguese.  After we played the same game, Don't Eat Pete, and they loved it.  We played it for an hour, first the kids then the adults wanted to do it to.  It was just perfect.  And we did have Apple cake and Texas Sheet Cake (by me) at the end, so we still had a treat at the end, Whew. 



View video here


Tuesday we had another church night, but this time it was up at the church and it was practicing for the Primary Program (the kid's get to have speaking parts and sing songs for the Sunday meeting in September).  I play the piano and they wanted me to teach the kids I am a Child of God in English to the primary kids.  But I guess that seemed too hard, so they asked my kids to just sing if for them.  They did great, really really great.  One teacher remarked, Oliver sang so nice and loud in English, he doesn't sing in Portuguese.  It's true.  I have been practicing with him on the Portuguese songs each day, and he sounds great, but he needs extra practice.  We are doing nothing but practice for the program in primary.  We have about 4 or 5 practices on Tuesdays, one more on the Saturday before, plus the time we spend on it on Sunday.  They are SERIOUS about having things go well. 

One new thing that is Felix growing up.  He cried one night about not having any friends.  The first time that he has even said anything about friends.  It is like a milestone to us.  You think having a twin brother that you can play with all the time would be enough.  I guess school isn't so bad for him if he can play with other kids.  I wonder if he does though when Miles is around.  I remember the phase in nursery when kids play "together" but they don't actually interact.  they both have a car, but their play does not intersect.  Then they grown up a bit and they play cars and their is a conversation and direction on how they play.  Now they grow up and bit and they need friends outside of their little world.  Sigh.  Only a few months from now and I won't have 3 year olds anymore.  That makes me feel a little old and I also can't believe how lightning fast that time has gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment