Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Bit of Sun


(Sorry this was from last week . . . my how time flies when you don't upload pictures so you don't post boring blog posts with only words)  


It has rained or been cloudy for the last 6 days.  It is OK.  The alternative is a really hot Brazilian sun.  Today we had a bit of sun. 

We had a nice day yesterday.  Felix and Miles didn't have school (which I didn't find out until I drove them to school and walked around the whole building thinking they were in a different room.)  So we had a nice morning at home.  

They played with sponges and soap out on the tile of the backyard while I exercised.  They were very content to squeeze out bubbles. And then make tracks as they walked through the water, then rode their bikes though puddles.  

Later we made cupcakes for an church activity later that day.  We got over two dozen cupcakes which was perfect.  

I picked up the church kids who don't have a car.  They all had some friends with them, so it turned out to be 9 kids plus me in our seven passenger car.  Yes, illegal in the US, but we are in Brazil (a little reminder). 

A few of them had never been to my house before.  They had so many questions, like how much did this car cost, a million reais?  Did I live in a big house?  No, it doesn't feel so big when it is half the size of ours in America.  

But I thought as I drove them into our neighborhood, when would they ever come into a gated community like this.  Is it bad to show them how others live on the other side of the wall?  When you live in half a house with a crumbling cement floor does it make you mad that people have marble tile outside?  

I resolved to myself that it gives them an experience that they would otherwise might never have.  Perhaps it could help them set their goals high for school and employment.  

The activity was crazy.  We had close to twenty kids here.  They had fun trying to use the decorator tubes and icing tips.  They mostly just mounded up frosting then put sprinkles on top.  I guess they are not used to buttercream frosting.  It was too sweet (yeah, a mountain of frosting can overwhelm, unless you build up a tolerance over years and years of practice like me!) I saw a few discarded ones.  But they had a great time decorating, 


My highlight of the night was kids doing capoeira in my back yard with the beribau I bought from their maestre.  When will I ever have that chance again.  It was awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment