1/21/14
12:37 leave Argentina (turned out to not be so bad of a wait) Another stamp in the passport!
12:38 arrive Brazil (Brazil never checked anything. They only waived us through)
Finally at Iguaçu!!!!! Jamison dropped us off closer and then parked. We waited for him in the air conditioned gift shop. Then we played around as only young loud Americans can waiting for our tickets for the bus.
We got to ride a Double decker bus out to the falls. It was so much fun! Abby is already planning a trip to England just so she can ride another double decker bus!
Hot hot hot.
Stop for lunch. Notice how tranquil we are. The water just behind us plunges down the huge waterfalls, see the spray to the right and behind of us.
We were also very tranquil before the coati incident.
These are coati. They are racoon like animals, that have become very used to people.
Lunch was fine, it was hot waiting for our food to be done, but we found a shady spot. And all was good until a couple of brazen coati came around the tables looking for food. It was still ok until . . . . one jumped up on the table and stole a guys sandwich right off the tray and ran off! Freaked me and Grace out. When another came close I panicked and jumped up on a chair, much to Jamison's mockery. Of course I wasn't thinking it was pure panic. There is no logic like the coati can climb a chair if they can jump on a table when you panic. The kids were crying. I had to pick some of them up. I told Jamison he needed to get a stick. He told everyone to calm down, and I should stomp in their general direction. I told Jamison to get a stick and protect his family!!!!!!
We got to ride a Double decker bus out to the falls. It was so much fun! Abby is already planning a trip to England just so she can ride another double decker bus!
Hot hot hot.
Stop for lunch. Notice how tranquil we are. The water just behind us plunges down the huge waterfalls, see the spray to the right and behind of us.
We were also very tranquil before the coati incident.
Lunch was fine, it was hot waiting for our food to be done, but we found a shady spot. And all was good until a couple of brazen coati came around the tables looking for food. It was still ok until . . . . one jumped up on the table and stole a guys sandwich right off the tray and ran off! Freaked me and Grace out. When another came close I panicked and jumped up on a chair, much to Jamison's mockery. Of course I wasn't thinking it was pure panic. There is no logic like the coati can climb a chair if they can jump on a table when you panic. The kids were crying. I had to pick some of them up. I told Jamison he needed to get a stick. He told everyone to calm down, and I should stomp in their general direction. I told Jamison to get a stick and protect his family!!!!!!
I did stomp and he did get a stick. Which came in handy when the coati was right under our table! He poked him off the landing we were on and into the trees. I told the kids to eat fast so we could leave. The coati tried to come back too, but Jamison did his job well and protected us again.
So when animals lose their fear of people, the people begin to fear! (and panic in my case)
| STOP PETTING THEM you Crazy people!!!! They will steal your sandwiches and terrify your children! |
After taking some deep breaths, amply applying sunscreen and giving out hats and sunglasses we walked a short way to the first waterfall outlook.
It was amazing to be so close to such power. Absolutely AMAZING! Miles and Felix were scared, it was too loud and they didn't like standing on the cat walk and be able to see the ground below them (far below them). Oliver however was mesmerized. Abby was as thrilled as I was. We got sprayed whenever the wind blew and loved it every time!
Then we went out further on the catwalk to get a view up to Devil's Throat.
Amazing! Jamison and I would have stayed out there for an hour but all the kids but Oliver were done.
| Notice the spray from the waterfalls. It was just so amazing. Notice Oliver in the hat just couldn't take his eyes off the water. |
Amazing! Jamison and I would have stayed out there for an hour but all the kids but Oliver were done.
| View of Devil's Throat (the one in the back up the canyon) |
We wanted to avoid elevator line clogged with tour groups. The elevator only took about 7-10 people at a time. And there was a long wait. So after I paid out my bribe of gummi bears to the kids who didn't want to go out on the catwalk in the first place (and I explained that we just drove for two days to see this!) we walked back up to the road.
Along the way there were just amazing views.
We had a sizeable group of tired kids but we made it. We went to hotel we think Grandpa Bob stayed years ago. He came down to Brazil to photograph some agriculture in this area and also came to Iguacu. The park is 75 years old, so was Grandpa Bob. It was pretty special to retrace some of his steps.
Along the way there were just amazing views.
We had a sizeable group of tired kids but we made it. We went to hotel we think Grandpa Bob stayed years ago. He came down to Brazil to photograph some agriculture in this area and also came to Iguacu. The park is 75 years old, so was Grandpa Bob. It was pretty special to retrace some of his steps.
Back on the bus. We were less excited, and more hot and tired. Felix and Abby fell asleep on the bus. Jamison did a great job keeping Miles awake, because I don't know what would we do with three sleeping kids.
Back at the Visitor's Center we got popsicles and Acai for everyone. Plus a little shopping for souvenirs with NO coatis on them before closing time.
Back at the Visitor's Center we got popsicles and Acai for everyone. Plus a little shopping for souvenirs with NO coatis on them before closing time.
| Good work Kids! Thanks for helping your mom's dream come true. You deserve an Acai! |
We found a mall with shwarma, McDonalds and a Subway. Even after we told the kids that the Avengers ate Shwarma at the end of the movie, they weren't motivated enough to try it. It was pretty good!
Then a grocery trip from h-e double toothpicks (super tired kids in a small scale grocery store is not a good combination, I am surprised we made it out of there without breaking anything.) We then made our way to the border to our pousada. The first night was so smooth we didn't worry about it. But we they had more staff and were checking all the cars. And we thought that they wouldn't like us bringing Brazilian groceries into Argentina. (not a problem by the way) But we did run into trouble for not have proper documentation for the car. It was sure fun trying to decipher between Spanish, Portuguese and some English and finally understand that we need authorization that the car was ours and not stolen. Well the car isn't ours, it is rented, and rented by the company from another company based in Curitiba. And we didn't have the authorization they wanted and we didn't have proof of insurance either. Double whammy. It turned into twenty minutes of Jamison out talking to border control and me in the car with crying kids praying we could back to our pousada and our things. To our great relief (and answer to the kids' prayers) we were free to go at our own risk that if the police pulled us over we would have a hefty fine.
We got back safely and Jamison decided to go for a swim. The kids were worn out and just stayed in the room watching cartoons in Spanish (Alpha and Omega) until the power went out. We had some pretty panicky kids again when it was pitch black in the hotel room. I stayed calm this time! I told the kids to stay where they were and I would feel for them in the dark. We were all holding hands in the middle of the room when Jamison came back from the pool. We used the lights from the iPads as flashlights and decided if there was no power for TV or AC then we would all go out to the pool and see the stars.
Then a grocery trip from h-e double toothpicks (super tired kids in a small scale grocery store is not a good combination, I am surprised we made it out of there without breaking anything.) We then made our way to the border to our pousada. The first night was so smooth we didn't worry about it. But we they had more staff and were checking all the cars. And we thought that they wouldn't like us bringing Brazilian groceries into Argentina. (not a problem by the way) But we did run into trouble for not have proper documentation for the car. It was sure fun trying to decipher between Spanish, Portuguese and some English and finally understand that we need authorization that the car was ours and not stolen. Well the car isn't ours, it is rented, and rented by the company from another company based in Curitiba. And we didn't have the authorization they wanted and we didn't have proof of insurance either. Double whammy. It turned into twenty minutes of Jamison out talking to border control and me in the car with crying kids praying we could back to our pousada and our things. To our great relief (and answer to the kids' prayers) we were free to go at our own risk that if the police pulled us over we would have a hefty fine.
We got back safely and Jamison decided to go for a swim. The kids were worn out and just stayed in the room watching cartoons in Spanish (Alpha and Omega) until the power went out. We had some pretty panicky kids again when it was pitch black in the hotel room. I stayed calm this time! I told the kids to stay where they were and I would feel for them in the dark. We were all holding hands in the middle of the room when Jamison came back from the pool. We used the lights from the iPads as flashlights and decided if there was no power for TV or AC then we would all go out to the pool and see the stars.
We had a great time until . . . the biggest frog I have ever seen in my entire life made it's way to the side of the pool.
It was too terrifying to even photograph (OK really, my nightime photography skills were lacking) But up there near the right corner is the reflection of it's eye!!!! It was huge like 6-7 inches across and coming closer to the pool.
Well, panic set in again! The kids wanted to get out of the pool. But were too terrified to go past this beast of a frog. I worried what would happen if the frog got into the pool and swam like a torpedo straight at us! I wanted to take the kids back to the room but my flip flops were so terrifyingly close to the frog (like 5 feet!) So we were in a panicky, terrifying stale mate. I finally got the guts to get my shoes. Then I pulled the scared kids out of the pool. And we started to run back to the room, only to be stopped by Abby's piercing scream! "A FROG!" On the walkway blocking our path! We were trapped!
I tried to stay calm and said just wait for dad. He bravely approached. Kicked with his foot. And shooed a frog-shaped leaf away.
Wow. Perhaps we all just need to go to bed after a long, awesome day.
I can't stop crying with laughter! Your descriptions were wonderful! The frogs and the coati! :-D
ReplyDeleteDO NOT laugh about coatis . they are bad news
DeleteI think I laughed the whole read. Oh my h-e double toothpicks. SCARED OF A FROG??!! Hahahaha. Eamon would have picked it up even if we told him it was poisonous.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAnd the coati episode. Dying.
ReplyDeleteSee the two new photos that I added :-) I assume you went to the falls from the Argentine side too?
ReplyDeleteI need to tell you my Brazil-Uruguay border story. We had to go across the border to get tourist visas to be able to come back into Brazil. One of the senior missionaries that was taking us had to bribe the border guards to stamp our passports so that we could get visas in Uruguay. We went over and applied for them and then had to come back to Brazil illegally, then go back over the border in the morning illegally to get the visas to come back legally. I can only say I was glad we had the senior missionaries with us to help us. (And they were from Orem and we now live in their ward.)
AWESOME!!! (What's with all the small animal phobias? I bet Dave or Scott hid salamanders in your shoes when we were little.)
ReplyDeleteWow, Kris. I would have played with the coatis - made them do tricks to get the food like standing on their hind legs, rolling over, etc. And it sounds like you could have had some awesome frog legs for dinner. Yeah, buddy!
ReplyDelete