Thursday, January 9, 2014

Recalling the Whirlwind

There has been a lot going on, how can I possibly remember everything.  But I would like to be able to look back and have some idea of what we have done while we are home for Christmas. 

I have had a lot of giddy kind of happy moments.  I am sure people think I am crazy. But I am so grateful for all the fast cashiers where ever I go, and I make sure to sincerely complement them on their skills and service.  I am so happy to be able to dress in layers.  You never appreciate the beauty of layers of clothes until you are so hot you just stand in front of your closet nixing all choices as they will be way too hot (like denim capris, yikes,  give me that cotton skirt!)

We have spent time with dear friends and family.  We have wrapped and unwrapped gifts.  I have been able to actually cook all the food I see in the magazines!  Pistachio apricot biscotti anyone? Or roasted sweet potatoes?  Or roasted carrot dip?  






New years eve.  We had a great quiet evening at home.  We traded Grace for our cousin Jonah.  Jonah, Oliver, Miles and Felix played so great together all evening.  (Legos, ninjas, Lord of the Rings) Then we put the younger ones to bed.  Then Oliver, Jonah and I watched studio C until 11.  Poor Jonah, he went to bed earlier this holiday then he does on normal nights.  This new years was a LOT different from last years.  (the party in Brazil started at 10 and we were the first to leave at 2 AM!)

I got my work hours in for the year.  We were able to fit in all the dentist and doctor appointments.  Only one kid with a cavity!  Last time I felt like the worst parent ever, so this year I really felt that our changes made a difference (we don't drink "the best juice in the world" anymore, we usually have a soy milk juice blend that still tastes great and has way less sugar, and we brush a lot more often). We all got checked for skin cancer too since my sister had surgery this year for it.  We are clear but need to get checked regularly.  

Jamison and I went skiing with my sisters Ally and Kim, and my brother Dave his wife Stephanie and Our cousin Jake.  It was Jamison's  and my first time skiing at Snowbird.  The first run was pretty intimidating and it was only the easiest.  It has been a long time since I have been on skis.  But it was beautiful and we had a  great day!  thanks Ally! 

We had a chance to gather with family at Temple Square for our family tradition of attending the organ recital.  





The organ recital commemorates our first date (Jamison and moi). Jamison will tell you our first date was watching ski jumping and then watching a video at someone's house that I was dog sitting at.  So I think the organ recital must be the first one that I invited him to.  This was the first year in 12 years that one of us was not in the cry room with a little kid or two!  It was such a beautiful recital.  My sister Liz and her husband Dan were the organists.  It was just so perfect.  And I felt so grateful I could sit surrounded by my family in the historic tabernacle listening to beautiful music.  

My heart swelled as they played Forest Green, then I started to cry when I heard them play Come Come Ye Saints.  Dan's arrangement is one of my favorites.  It made me reflect of what we have lost this year when Jamison's Dad, Bob passed away.  "And should  we die before our journey's through  . . . We then are free of toil and labor too, with the saints we shall dwell."  We miss him.  Jamison has spent a lot of hours and days while we have been home at his dad's house cleaning out his office and sorting through everything. I talked with Dot last night and she is so grateful for Jamison's hard work, dedication and long hours he has spent.  It is not easy sorting through a lifetime.  (We felt a sense of urgency since we can't do it a weekend at a time like his siblings would be able to do.  )

Another part of the pioneer hymn  reminds me looking forward, "Come Come Ye saints, no toil or labor fear, but with joy wend your way."  Leaving our dear friends and family behind for another six months is hard.  Although we feel at home in Brazil now, it still isn't as easy as our American life.  I have mixed feelings of leaving again,  I hate saying goodbye, again and again.  I know the six months will go by fast.  So I will do my best to joyfully wend my way.  But I am not sure what wend means so I will need to look that up.  

We had a great evening with friends over from our ward.  We had friends that have moved away and they came back.  We planned to play games, but we had so much to talked about we never quite made it to playing.   Jamison commented that it feels like our house is too big for us (we live fine in a third of it in Brazil) but when we have 5 or 6 families with their kids over it fills it up perfectly and happily.  I loved it.  


Our last days in the country have been spent shopping, packing, and cleaning.  I thought I was done with my list, but laying in the dentist chair for my filling I remembered I haven't bought any school supplies for the next school year!  So off I go.  Too bad there aren't any back to school sales in January!


2 comments: