Thursday, March 13, 2014

Carnaval!

Today was another day off from scheduled activities.

We finally got to Grace's choice of kayaking. The pousada has two kayaks but one had a hole.  So we were able to borrow one from the owner's friends.  Grace and I got to go out together which was really so nice.  She was a little worried about going too far out, but it was really shallow most of the way out, so we actually made it out to an island.



What an awesome girl.  She is eleven, with parents that make her live in Brazil,  out kayaking in the ocean with her mom.  Awesome.  We made it so much farther than we thought we could.  Our arms were a little tired on the way back.  

Then she ran in across the beach to the pousada to ask Jamison if he wanted to go out before we carried the kayaks in.  He came out, and we decided to take a quick trip together.  We made out to some rocks and around the island.  Then on the way back my arms were really getting tired.  But we made it back.  

We had a great lunch at an Argentinian restaurant on a beach.  They had passion fruit honey chicken, and a great ground beef empanada.  It was the perfect location.  Great shade trees for the kids to play under in the sand.


 Grace, Jamison, and I enjoyed our meal at the table.  They even let us stay at the table as we walked to a quiosque (yes that is how they spell kiosk) for the worlds most expensive Acai. (I could have bought a whole freezer full from my store back home for the same price, yikes!). But it was delicious as always.


The boys stayed on the beach the girls went back to the room and played some card games.  When everyone came back we watched tv and napped.  

I heard some drums and wanted to see the parade for carnaval for the local neighborhood.  It is nothing like the spectacle of Rio with its floats and costumes (or lack thereof). They had the traditional paper mâché heads, and some people dressed up in costumes.  But mostly it looked liked an opportunity for anyone who wants to to dance and walk down the street to join in.  Everyone from all ages, looked like they were having a good time.  My family was still napping and watching tv.  But it is cultural!  I really wanted them to see it but I think they are still scared from the mud parade on Saturday.


The parade did come around and went down the front of our pousada.  Felix wanted to see.  So Jamison, me and Felix watched it (Felix with hands over his ears). The song we heard was about the cachaça, an alcoholic drink made from suger cane.  A lot of people were drinking, usually beer as they  paraded.  But we didn't see any drunk people, of course it was also just the beginning of the celebration.  It is almost 10:00 as I write this and we can still hear all the dance music, they will probably be going strong until 3 am.  

We were lucky to find a restaurant that took our debit card (the same Argentinian one from this after noon)..  I am so surprised the kids are bit tired of French fries for lunch and dinner.  But then again I am not tired of salads and I eat those a lot.  

After dinner the kids swam again.  Jamison noticed a milestone of Felix and Miles jumping in the pool on their own (with flotation assistance, puddle jumpers! love them!). It is the end of years and years of standing in the pool and catching kids that jump off the side.  I didn't quite know what to do with myself.  I just sat on lounge chair contemplating my new futility.  Jamison was probably contemplating his new freedom and the era of relaxation.




I guess as my youngests need me less I can have more time to do more, like kayaking, with my older kids.  I guess my mothering is not done yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment