If you have kept reading it is because you know there is always more to it than it seems. This time was no exception with the drama the night before,
I was taking some prednisone for a weird skin thing that happened Wednesday. But it was kind of messing with my emotions and it got pretty weird by Saturday night where I lacked any desire to even try to make the talk good. Pretty sad, I know.
Even Sunday morning I was doubting if I could actually do this.
Luckily I was led to some scriptures that I needed to boost my faith.
(Doctrine and Covenants: 100:5-6 "Speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts. For it shall be given you in the very hour yea in the very moment what ye shall say." Alma 26:11 "Yea, I know that I am nothing as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things" I certainly felt weak and certainly felt that I could do nothing. )
(Doctrine and Covenants: 100:5-6 "Speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts. For it shall be given you in the very hour yea in the very moment what ye shall say." Alma 26:11 "Yea, I know that I am nothing as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things" I certainly felt weak and certainly felt that I could do nothing. )
And despite feeling a little nauseated, I sat up on the stand.
Too bad I wasn't listening carefully enough to hear when I was supposed to give my talk. I still have to listen really carefully for comprehension. So it took me a little while to get up to the microphone. Long pause --me turning to verify that it really was my turn.
I started, "Eu sou Kristina. Eu sou dos Estadus Unidos. E eu nao falo portugues. Boa Sorte!"
I am Kristina. I am from the United States. And I don't speak Portugese. Good luck!
And I dove right in. It was about 15 minutes. I did OK. I still read almost all of it. On the long words I had to slow down and read each syllable - like a kid. But it all worked out. And I can't have any pride about looking dumb because I feel dumb sometimes.
When I was done and sat down the lady next to me said that she understood everything, "Entendo Tudo!" Wow. It certainly wasn't perfect but it went well. And now I am done! I was so relieved. I could actually sit and listen to the rest of the meeting. And I didn't even hear my kids being noisy as they sat with their dad.
Jamison had a friend from work come with his family to the meeting. I felt the pressure at first, but soon got down to the task at hand. All my practicing really paid off. Grace was a great help and heard me give the talk three times before today.
Like I said it is a huge relief to have it done, and I felt super satisfied to check off, Discourso, from my To Do list.
And I am so grateful for all the help I got from my friends who helped me try to get the Portuguese right, to Grace who helped me get the pronunciation right, to Jamison who helped me know when to stop worrying about it and just do it, and especially to a God who will hear and answer our prayers and help us stand strong when we feel really weak.
And I am so grateful for all the help I got from my friends who helped me try to get the Portuguese right, to Grace who helped me get the pronunciation right, to Jamison who helped me know when to stop worrying about it and just do it, and especially to a God who will hear and answer our prayers and help us stand strong when we feel really weak.
Woot! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!
ReplyDelete(I thought this was going to be about THE Talk. Oops. My mistake.) ;-)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad it went well!
A big "Woohoo!" to Grace for helping her mom! That's wonderful!
That's what I thought too, Liz. Even though I just read the other blog post referring to the talk this morning.
DeleteGlad I wasn't the only one that thought that. I just didn't want to say anything. :)
DeleteWay to go, Kris. All things are possible to those who have faith!
ReplyDeleteWell done, Kris!
ReplyDeleteYay!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGood job Portuguese woman!
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you and so impressed! That is a big deal!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm a little late to comment, but I wanted to say that you're courageous and I've always admired that about you. Love you!
ReplyDelete