Friday, March 21, 2014

Jamison's Talk

(written 3/9/14, 2 Sundays ago)

Jamison gave a talk, or a speech, in church today.

He was dreading it.

He worked all of Saturday on it.

All. Of. Saturday.

He wrote it in English on Saturday Morning.

He google translated it and then spent the afternoon correcting google translate.

Then he spent the evening proofreading and making sure he had enough to cover 15 minutes.

Whew.  15 minutes of speaking Portuguese, worrying if your pronunciation is correct with each word.  No wonder he was dreading it.

We were so focused on his talk we didn't worry that I had to sit with the five kids by myself for the meeting.  It went fine for me.  And it went great for Jamison.  He even got a few laughs (intentional) during the talk.  I didn't really understand everything he was saying, so I had to read the talk in English when we got home.  It was good. 

And guess what?

In two weeks it is my turn.

But it is only 10 minutes.

And I started writing it today (and hopefully translate a paragraph a day and be ready!)

(written on 3/18/14)

I am so discouraged with my talk.  It is harder than I ever imagined. Sure I got the English version typed up last Sunday in 10 minutes, but the English version won't do me much good. 

I have had two very good friends who are helping me by translating my translation (changing my portuguese into the proper Portuguese).  But it is super discouraging to have most of my words scratched out and basically the whole thing rewritten.  I really appreciate my friends help but it is funny that the two paragraphs that one helped me with sounds as educated and proper as she is, and the other one is super simple and is meant to be spoken from the heart.  But right now I don't think I could do either

Well through all of this I have learned that I still can't speak Portuguese and it is so disappointing.  (sure I can have a 20 minute chat with people but that is a lot different than writing for 10 minutes of speaking.)

Jamison can relate.  We talked about my options.  And I am going to bail.  I could just tell the bishop who gave me the assignment that I can't do it.  But instead I will find my favorite quotes from the last conference and look them up already translated!   Still a message that is meaningful and personal to me, without all the anguish. 

(written 3/21/14)
My other friend could help me a lot today, so it is a little better.  Some how I will get through this but it is SO hard!  I have to practice (and pray!) every chance I can get before Sunday morning.  

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to both of you. WHEN YOU' RE PREPARED, YOU SHOULDN'T FEAR. How easy that is to type. But faith overcame in the end. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete