Sunday, November 4, 2012

Applause

So imagine a Brazilian Sunday School class.  You break out your English scriptures.  You have a very helpful classmate offer any assistance to you since your husband isn't here (Poor Oliver has a fever and stayed home from church with Jamison.  (The little boys too, just because they could.))  But you don't want to tell him you just use Sunday School to read the corresponding chapters silently to yourself.  Everyday I learn new words and start to recognize them, but it is a slow process. 

So then they hand out a very nicely prepared reading assignment, two verses.  I admire their penmanship then hand the whole stack to the classmate next to me without taking one.  She of course takes an assignment and hands it right back to me!  So I'm stuck with it. Sigh. 

The whole lesson I am hoping that they won't get to my verses since they don't come until we are at the end of the lesson.  We are getting short on time and I think I am safe.  Then . . .

It's my turn. 

My nice neighbor kindly let's me read from her Portuguese version (there goes my other excuse) and I'm off and reading.

E escrevi estas coisas, que são a menor parte do que ele ensinou ao povo; e escrevi-as com a intenção de que sejam novamente trazidas dos gentios para este povo, de acordo com as palavras que Jesus disse.

   E quando tiverem recebido isto, que convém que recebam primeiro para pôr à prova sua fé, e se acontecer que creiam nestas coisas, então as coisas maiores lhes serão manifestadas. 

I was nearly sweating by the end.  

But the class cheered and clapped and said.  "Well Done!" "You did great!"  

You couldn't ask for a nicer group of people to embarrass yourself in front of. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm cheering and clapping myself! Someday you will understand what it all means too (at least most of it). How are the Portuguese lessons going?

    ReplyDelete