Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Carnaval Family Trip

Jamison had three days off of work for Carnaval. So we found one of the last rooms that would fit our family in the mountain resort town of Campos do Jordao.

Unfortunately work is pretty busy for Jamison right now. Instead of leaving Monday morning, he went to work and we met up with him later that afternoon at his work. Then we took two cars up the mountain, it is pretty lucky that his work is right in the middle between our house and Campos do Jordao.

I had some reservations about our reservation ("why is it the last room in the town?"). But it is just fine. The kids were SO excited to sleep like pioneers, all in the same room! It has two bunk beds and one queenish sized bed (maybe it is a double). It is pretty dated but bug free and I joked later that it is "incredibly adequate."



Jamison and I both woke up feeling like we were camping. You know the kind of sleep you usually have camping? Rolling over 20 times trying to get comfortable. Pillow not like the one at home. Waking up if your feet are uncovered. That kind of "rest."

We had a nice time at one of the preserved nature areas. They had a waterfall we wanted to hike to. They also had a visitor center, a scary bridge that only 5 people were allowed to cross at the same time. They had a cool water thingy that we first saw in Japan. And they had a playground for kids.

Well it turned out Grace only brought flip flops and somehow we forgot the sunscreen in a different bag in the car (with picnic lunch). So as much as Jamison and I wanted to see the waterfall, simply told, we didn't. It was just not feasible with our allotted amounts of supplies and energy. So we may never see it. Big whup. Our kids had a great time. And instead of hiking we enjoyed a lovely lunch by the side of a babbling brook under the shade of table umbrellas. Oh, how the adventurous have fallen.



That afternoon Jamison had to go back into work. (lucky we are only 30 minutes away). I tried to power up with a short nap before venturing out during Carnaval with the five kids on my own. I had the same misgivings many of you are thinking about right now.

We started out with a horse and buggy ride. Felix was begging to do it all day. We all got in one buggy and set off. I think most of the kids had a great time except Felix. It was a bit of an adventure with some of the drive on the street and then some on a dirt road. It was probably 15-20 minutes and we were back. Then Felix didn't what to leave he wanted to do it again.



Then came dinner time. This town is awesome for all the places to eat and walk around. But five hungry kids don't care about that. By great luck we quickly found a pizza place that was fast and open (most restaurants don't open until 7 or later). Grace smelled waffles at the hotel, and I had to explain how that was impossible at the moment. As I was doing so Abby disappeared around a corner (probably trying to find waffles, "I'm sure they are just here!") It all gave me a maternal heart attack and we stayed put.




After a fairly successful dinner we did wander a bit and found some fun things for tomorrow. But then it looked like it would rain so we bought some Brigadeiro pizza and hit the chocolate store and headed home to enjoy our treats and watch a video on the iPad. Call me a coward all you want but I couldn't see getting the three tired kids under five walking back to the hotel later after any more adventures. I wouldnt be able to carry them all! But it worked out perfect. Sometimes it is nice to know your limits and not do too much.

The Brigadeiro pizza disappeared at a lightening pace (think piranahas). And we enjoyed the other chocolate during the movie. Jamison should be home around 10:40. We will be even more grateful to have him have fun with us tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. You are one amazing Mother! I would have stopped when knowing I was getting the last room available. Haha! I'm working on going outside my comfort zone.
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the last room available for 7 people. There aren't a lot of those.

    ReplyDelete