Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Little blessings can be Big

My volunteer assignment/calling in the ward is Activity Days leader. I plan and hold activities twice a month for the boys and girls aged 8-11. It has been really fun, we have made a movie about a scripture story, played Nerf guns in my small house, and tonight we were going to make play dough and talk about entertaining young children.

I don't really know a lot of people at church since most of my time is in with the kids, but there were even a couple of kids that I didn't know were in my group. After church one of them was talking to their mom and really wanted to come to the activity. They live pretty far out. They don't have cars. They rent a big taxi/van for the whole family to come to church on Sundays. The little girl, Ines, asked her mom if she could take the bus to the activity. She really wanted to come. So I offered to pick her up. It was a little of a challenge to get the address and I forgot to get her phone number. But it all worked out eventually.

Then it came to driving there. I put the address in the GPS and then just faithfully drove. It was about 10 minutes from my house, but it was out from the city. I thought I was doing fine until I came to a weird little street that it said was the destination. It didn't look right to me. I drove around and ended up in a back alley on a dirt road.

From Google street view, when I was there it was evening and there was a group of 4 or 5 guys around a car.


Great. My cell phone hasn't been working so I couldn't call Jamison to look up the right address. I asked a nice looking young couple for the street and they pointed and said some things. And I started driving again this time blindly.

I kept thinking of this poor girl who was so excited to come to this activity. I had no way of calling her to say I was lost and couldn't find her house. It wasn't looking good. I came to a light and opened myself up to trying a left turn on an unknown road. And about 2 seconds down the road was this little girl with her mom and a friend (the other little boy from church) just waiting for me.

What a blessing. I am grateful that the God of the whole universe cares about a little girl in this big world who wants to come to a little activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment