Sunday, February 17, 2013

Your Bug of Choice

This morning Jamison killed 7 mosquitos. Just on our side of the house.

Last night I spent most of the evening constructing mosquito nets out of net curtains for the kids' beds. And still Miles had three new bites this morning. You would not believe how many bites that poor boy has. It brings tears to my eyes. He had thirteen on just one arm.

So sad.

We are very lucky to live in an area that sprays for dengue fever and yellow fever, so at least I am not as anxious as I could be. But it is still bad. He had a really hard time sleeping this afternoon because he was so itchy.

I don't know where they are coming from. We have screens on all the windows. I taped netting over the fireplace (it looks super tacky but I don't care).

So recently we haven't seen the cockroaches and geckos that I wrote about before. And I have finally come down from being totally freaked out by every movement out of the corner of my eye, or raisin on the floor. I still scan every room before I walk into it at night time. Because just because I don't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.

But now I have a new battle to fight, and the Mosquitos are difficult to see against the dark wood floor. We have citronella plug ins. We have the kids in long pajamas. We spray them before they go to sleep. We have their beds covered in nets.

Maybe bug zapper night lights?

2 comments:

  1. I've heard that bathing with Fels-Naptha soap keeps them at bay. I haven't tried it yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avon Skin-So-Soft is supposed to ward them off too.

    ReplyDelete