Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Angra Dos Reis

We came here for a weekend last year and had such a perfect time we had to come back.

Unfortunately the weather was much different this time, but we managed to have a great time inspite of it.

We got here in time yesterday to let the kids swim and recover from the 5 1/2 hours traveling (with 1 hour break for lunch). They are good travelers. The first half we listened to books. The big kids each got something new - a Percy Jackson book for Grace, a Sticker book for Abby (Doc Mcstuffins) and a Hero factory for Oliver (Stormer Brain Attack). After lunch at Mcdonalds (R$98 for the family! Yikes) we watched a movie, I took a nap, Jamison kept driving, and when I woke up an one later we were in such beautiful country of green mountains and rivers.




Once we parked at the pousada (Inn) we parked for the weekend. It was a nice feeling to know we wouldn't be running around, but just enjoying our stay here.
 

Today's adventure was the one thing we missed out on the last time we were here, the schooner excursion to Ilha Grande. But it wasn't certain it would even go today. They said if it was raining they didn't go. When we woke up this morning it was raining, and the wind was blowing hard. It didn't seem likely. But I also know that in Brazil the weather usually changes after an hour so there was hope.

It all cleared up by ten, the departure time and we get ready for the boat. It was still a cloudy cool day, but no rain. In order to board the boat we had to wade until the ocean, it was up to my waist (Jamison's knees). Ha ha. We took turns carrying the little kids out to the boat to then climb up the ladder.



 All the kids were excited to be pirates they already decided Grace would be Captain and then organized all the "ordinal" mates, first, second, third.

Once at the island we made three stops about an hour each. The blue lagoon for swimming and snorkeling. A beach with an old 19th century church. Then a beach with about 4-5 restaurants.

The blue lagoon was beautiful. Jamison took the first plunge, with Abby fearlessly behind him. Then Abby realized how cold the water was and then the captain (the real captain) of the boat started throwing watermelon pieces out to attract fish to them. This was supposed to be helpful to help them get a better look at the fish, but only ended up terrifying Abby. So her swim was short. But she was a brave soul to do it.

Please note Abby's clutch, Miles' photo bomb with pirate stick, the watermelon to the right, and the fish right behind Jamison's feet as he swims away from the fish to save Abby. Awesome. 


I went in after Jamison came aboard to watch the kids, it was brisk! It took my breath away for the first few minutes, so much so I couldn't put my face in the water to see the fish with my goggles on. I enjoyed floating about with my boat-supplied water noodles, and just enjoying the fact I was floating about in a blue lagoon in Brazilian waters.

Yes I more colorful than my swim noodles.  I didn't know I had a sunburn from the 10 minutes the sun came out.


The next stop was a beach, by the time we got there Miles was asleep. We just left him sleeping on the deck and got off, thinking the boat would jut anchor there and we would stay close.

When they pulled up the ladder we realized they were not anchoring and we needed to save our sleeping child from sailing away. Jamison tried to carry him down the ladder without him waking up but it didn't work too well. And unfortunately we saved our son but now all our gear like sun screen and hats, and shoes which were in the boat sailing away.

So I went on a walk in my bare feet to the old church.




The other pilgrims.  I figure if I have to see it all you have to see it all too.




We found a shady place on the beach for Miles. And we had a great time.

The last stop was restaurant row. People from the restaurant came to the boat while we were at the blue lagoon and took our order. So it was ready soon after we got there. It was fun dining with a sand floor. Oliver was in heaven, he gave him something so tactile to do at the table while we were eating, he played with the sand with his feet the whole time.



When we boarded to head for home, we put our jackets on, with the wind it was a little chilly. The kids loved the splash of the waves up on the boat. It was so thrilling.




 But the choppy seas made it difficult to get back to our pousada beach. So we got off at a dock and had about a ten or fifteen minute walk back. We made it all safe and sound.



It was such a great adventure. Everyone had a great time. And I am so glad the weather cooperated to give us this opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic adventure. Your kids won't want to come home to "dull" Utah. I hope you continue the adventures when you're back and not get into the routine of life so much that you "don't have time" for these family experiences.

    Thanks for sharing and for the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. You know my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are to cute, Felix. Love the Miles photo bomb!

    ReplyDelete