Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Friday in Trindade

Felix started to get sick last night.  So this morning we planned to take him to the local clinic.  But it was a holiday and there was no doctor here.   They said we needed to drive to Paraty, about 40 minutes away.  He has a milder case, which we were very grateful for.  We still had a day of fun and he could enjoy most of it with us (the other part he was still with us, but didn't enjoy it so much.)

We started the day with lots of grumbling that we were going to hike to a waterfall through the rainforest.  CHILDREN, You GET to hike to a waterfall through the rainforest!  You are lucky kids!

The beginning of the hike

A super pokey tree.  How do I know?  I touched it and it was sharp!

The amazing Jamison braving the cold waterfall.
 So as hikes go it was about 20 minutes and fun (for me).  Scrambling around big roots in the trail.  It looked so much like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland I had to laugh that the fake thing reminded me of the real thing.  I'm glad it wasn't an arduous hike because the waterfall was about 6 feet tall.  A little underwhelming.  We still enjoyed a snack of grapes and water, watching Jamison and Abby brave the cold water, then hiked back to hang out at the beach.  Rough life, I know.


This is how I left Miles.  Carefully protected under a shade tree, with even a pillow for his head.  I took turns with the other kids playing paddle ball about 15 feet behind him.  At one point I noticed that Miles and his bed was gone.

Yes, a moment of utter panic set in.  Luckily in that same second I saw the flash of the black and white beach wrap that he used to be lying on.  Poor Miles had awoken.  And Poor Miles didn't look behind him to see his loving mother playing just a few feet away.  And Poor Miles decided to go and cuddle with the nearest complete strangers on the beach.  Luckily those complete strangers were so awesome and nice and came back to retrieve his "blanket" so he wouldn't be cold.  It took a few minutes to even convince Miles to come back with me, he must have been very comfortable! 



There isn't much nightlife when you are a family of seven and you have had a long day at the beach.  So we got in the car and drove to Paraty.  Felix was doing better and we decided to take him to our own doctor when we got home.  So we did the drive just for our amazing Thai restaurant.  It is that good.

For a moment, I did question why we would drive all that way just for food.  But the first bite of the cucumber salad made me question no more.  This place is amazing.  We all got our usual.  Pad Thai with no veggies (stressed over and over in many different ways in Portuguese to make sure they got it right.)  Red curry for Jamison and Green curry for me.  Again the first bite was perfection.  Just amazing.  And luckily I got to sit in a pew so I could have both Felix and Miles rest with me.  Miles was asleep most of the meal.


Afterwards we enjoyed huge bowls of Açai at a street cafe, which had a great street corner musician that unfortunately started just as we were leaving.

We remarked as we were driving away that it is getting a little sad that we go to an amazing city like Paraty with so many cool roads to explore and awesome buildings to see and we only go there to eat.  It is good to say we haven't left many things undone.  And also shows that we are a little travel weary, too. 

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could have some of that Thai. Any place like that is magical. I love magical food. And that last pic of you is so cute. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that keeps going through my mind is "My gosh, she IS amazing!!!!!!!! She is my daughter. How did she get the fearlessness? The desire to see it all? Not from someone who doesn't like to leave home. Do you remember when we would visit somewhere, your mother would have to stop at every signpost and read what was on it. I think those genes were passed on. Love you!!!!!~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice comment, Dad. I really do like to stop and read things, but they are in Portuguese now and so I take a picture of the sign so I can read it later when I can work on translating it.

    ReplyDelete