Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mother's Day

I have had a hard time writing about this.  I have tried to write about it for a week and just want to avoid it altogether.  Mainly because it isn't so happy, and I think there is enough sadness and gloom in this world that I really do try to be genuinely positive about life.  I truly feel in most situations that it could be worse.

So I will talk about the positive of last weekend, and the sad things will be at the end.  Of course as a reader you can choose what appeals to you at the moment.

Jamison gave me the best Mother's Day present ever.  A whole Saturday out with my friends.  A dear friend is moving back to the US and wanted to go to a special town about 2.5 hours away to do some shopping.  At first I had a conflict, but then Jamison changed the day he would pick up his World Cup tickets so I could have a special day.  I appreciate that so much.  And just like Olaf, from Frozen says, "Love is putting someone else's needs before your own."  Olaf would be proud of you Jamison. 

It was a great day, with Sarah from Arizona, Melissa from South Carolina, Frida from Sweden and me.  Lots to talk about and nothing to worry about but choosing what to buy.  As our time is drawing to a close, I found lots of things that I could buy.  But I didn't go too crazy.

Frida, Kris, Melissa and Sarah, I didn't realize we were all grey and white until now.


Cool statement piece, but only really two people could sit on it, although great for Hot Wheels cars.

Loved this little place that is almost literally a hole in the wall.  And I love Agua de Coco.

The rug (in the middle on the left) that I fell in love with even though it has white in it, and I won't be able to use it on the floor.  I will use it as a throw. 

An amazing treat.  Mostly roasted nuts, but ALSO big fresh pieces of coconut with a little sweet covering then roasted.  Pretty amazing. 

A nifty little hair gadget that I had to buy for Grace.  I bought a little head band on the right for Abby. 


I came home and Grace was watching the kids and Jamison was out shopping for food.  And I realized I am the kind of mom now that no one needs.  They didn't much look up from their video or other devices when I had been gone all day.  Kind of weird for me.  I remember the days when the twins were little and when I came home there was frantic relief in the eyes of whoever was watching the kids. 

Actually Mothers Day:

Well it is time to be a little real here.  Mother's Day started out sad for me.  I woke up earlier than I needed to.  And just stayed in bed.  Surprisingly there weren't any little ones who came and asked for a drink or a cuddle, which is often how I wake up on a Sunday.  My goal was to expect nothing and really get rid of the notion that I deserve something special just because I am a mom.  I think those too things usually add some negative emotion on Mother's Day.  So I remember to treat this just like a normal day, but I couldn't help but think about my own mom.

She has been gone from this earth for 20 Mother's Days.  I think that is sad.

And I think that is a such a long time that I didn't realize was so long until I wrote it. 

So I wanted to write down my memories of my mom before they fade.  It was nice to remember the good times and even the rough times. I started to watch the video of when our family was in Yellowstone in 1992 (I think).  It was a great opportunity to see my mom again.  But in contrast so embarrassing to see myself as a 17-year old. So very embarrassing. 

We continued the day as normal.  Going to church.  Played for primary.  The primary went and sang a mother's day song in Relief Society at the end of church.  Then we got a cute little flower craft. 

We continued with our normal English class with Alteide and Matheus.  This time we exposed them to a lot of new foods.  Like Syrup!  And Barabecue sauce, Ranch dressing, and French Toast.  Jamison made our traditional Mother's Day meal, of Monte Cristo sandwiches that we had in Disneyland.  This time I had mine with my favorite cheese here, Minas Gerais and homemade jam from my sister Kim.  It was so amazingly delicious. 

Later that evening we had the missionaries over so they could talk to their families (it only happens twice a year and it is very special.)  We made rootbeer for this special occasion.  Unfortunately our new Brazilian missionary wasn't so enamored with it as the rest of us.  But no worries, I remember my French companion on my mission thought it tasted like medicine.  When it came time for them to talk with their families, we had one with our iPad in the living room and the other in the office with the computer.  It was a little stressful at first because the Sister in the office couldn't connect with her family via Skype.  So we called them and sorted it out, and she was just absolutely delighted and grateful at the same time.  It was so wonderful to see that kind of joy. 

We were happy we could help. 

But of course the day ended with someone complaining that Mother's Day is not fair.  Because we get a Mother's Day AND a Birthday and kids only get a birthday.  Well then it is a good time to write what my mom would say to me over and over again.  

"Life isn't fair." 

It is true, it isn't fair but it is still good.


2 comments:

  1. I realized on Easter that we had passed the 20th anniversary of Mom's death and I hadn't even thought about it that day. We were in San Francisco. But then I realized that we had spent the evening with Aunt Anne and Karen at Aunt Anne's house. I couldn't have thought of a better way to spend that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. Thanks, Kris (and Elena). When my offspring complained about mothers' and fathers' days not being fair and that there should be a 'kids' day, we promptly replied, "EVERY day is kids day!" We love you, Pextons!

    ReplyDelete