Friday, September 28, 2012
First week of School
We made it through our first week of school! Oliver's week got better. He found ways to play at recess and his bully "he doesn't hate as much.". Grace grew tired quite quickly of being famous (by the second day) and just wanted some time to herself. She has a friend from Holland who was fascinated with Grace's hair, even though the girl's hair is even blonder.
Abby was chatty after school.
- Mom I think I was born Brazilian! My whole class likes chocolate and so do I!
- Mom, you keep waking us up earlier and earlier! And it makes me want to go to bed at school! (we actually slept in on Thursday because of some appointments)
-Mom, I learned a new word. Coifa! After many questions by me and descriptions by her it is a stove hood/vent. Well that should come in handy in conversations.
-Mom, they keep calling me Ebby. And I keep telling them it's Abby! And they aren't listening! (they also call Grace, Gracie which I have fought against her whole life, but that is the way it is pronounce in Brazil. Oh, we'll. Oliver is ah-LEE-va. He is ok with it.)
So let's see how you would worked Coifa into everyday conversation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Are the teachers Brazilian? Are their Brazilian kids in their classes or are they all from other countries?
ReplyDeleteThe teachers are Brazilian. Some speak English and some don't. 85% of the students are Brazilian, but they speak English which has really helped the kids transition. The students are allowed to speak English during Portuguese time, unless they are explaining something to one of my kids (or other new comers). There are kids from the US, Korea, Holland that I know of so far.
ReplyDelete