Wednesday, April 23, 2014

39 things to be grateful for

Even though it is hard to get older, here is a little list I started on my birthday.

1  For my family ("Take that!" doctor who said I might not be able to have kids.)
2  For my health (I am grateful I am here to enjoy my kids)
3  That I can run without pain
4  That I can lift my kids up
5  That even though the dryer didn't work today, at least I have clothes lines
6  That even though 1/3 of the clothes didn't get dry from hanging out all day, at least 2/3 of them did
7  That even though it is cloudy and rainy and it doesn't dry your clothes, you get to wear a new part of your wardrobe. 
8  My kids are healthy*
9  I got the shoes I have been wanting for about six months
10  That I have a husband who encourages me to go shopping for shoes WITH him.  
11  The weird bump on the back of my wrist is going away. 
12  I have a car
13  I can drive a stick
14  I can find my way around my city without a GPS (most of the time)
15  I can ask people questions in Portuguese and almost understand the answers. 
16  I got to go to Igacu!  (This should count for 20 since it was such an epic trip)
17  I got to go skiing once with my husband and also some of my siblings
18  I got to be home for Christmas and thoroughly enjoy the snow. 
19  I got to come back to Brazil and thoroughly enjoy the beach
20  For the way I was raised. 
21  For loving, hard working parents who set a great example for me.
22  For siblings who add so much variety, love, acceptance, and friendship to my life
23  For siblings who even if we don't call much we can talk for hours no problem
24  For a great foundation to my life
25  For the strength and depth my spiritual beliefs give me
26  For the sense of purpose and direction my beliefs give me
27  For a God that is both universal and personal 
28  For hope that helps you get through the tough things in this world
29  For the ability and time to help those around me
30  For the chance to have an international group of friends
31  For the friends we have at home who have always been there for us
32*  For the fact that Abby is getting better from her delusional fever and only has a sore throat and a cough right now
33  That Jamison gets to watch one of his favorite tv shows, American Picker (it only took us almost 2 years to find out we can watch it on cable here on The History channel!)
34  That my kids figured out on their own* that if they help us out with cleaning up we have more energy to say yes to fun things (*after we "reinforce" it countless times)
35  To hear my kids say, "Hey, Guys, if we clean up then mom will let us play video games!"
36  That I can help a dear friend here that help me so much when we first got here (I said that I owe her "a thousand cupcakes" for all the help she has given me.)
37  That I have a chance to live in a different country (that has wonderful, inexpensive, fresh fruit all the time!)
38  That my children have learned a new language and experienced a new culture (I honestly didn't really consider this before we moved here, I was more than a bit selfish and just thought of all the changes I had to go through.  Don't worry I have matured.)
39  That I got to live another year!  (even thinking of all the blog posts I have done in the last year, we have done a lot of living!) 


1 comment: