Saturday, April 5, 2014

Conference Time!

We got to stay home for Conference.  That means I didn't have to try and catch up later for what I missed.

Things started out well.  My bigger kids did some hand knitting while they listened.  My last Activity Days activity at church was to teach hand knitting so the kids could see how long they could get it while they listened to conference. It worked great until Oliver ran out of yarn.  

We first turned on the tv since we get BYUTV on our cable (but it is different than BYUtv at home).  I was so excited and squealed with joy that we got Utah TV in Brazil!  SALT LAKE CITY!!!!!!  But then we couldn't turn it to English, it was only in Portuguese.  So we tried the iPad connected to AppleTv, but that didn't work for some reason.  SO . . . We just gathered around the iPad on the couch.

I love listening and watching.  By the end of one session the kids did pretty great with their knitting.  

And things were quite as idyllic by the end of the first session.  With the boys using the lazy boy as a merry go round.  

We took everyone to the park between sessions to run around.  

The second session we also did some puzzles, and crafts, and I got to listen to most of it!  I loved the music and especially the organ. Oh what a beautiful organ.  Oh how I miss the organ and the depth and power it gives to the hymns (especially with such rich arrangements!) 

I won't share all of my notes that I took (that is four to five pages) but just share one thing.  This past week Abby had a family homework assignment.  One thing was to bring something that belong to a grandparent or great grandparent.  Um . . . .   We didn't bring anything like that to Brazil.  So . . .  I thought of Family Search.org just to print up a pedigree chart, they have beautiful half circle pedigree charts that you can print (there is a free login required).  I was so excited to be connected with my ancestors again even while living abroad.  I was delighted to find that there were even pictures too. 

The next morning I was telling the kids some of the stories that went along with the pictures while driving them to school.  We didn't have enough time to give all the stories justice.  So I thought we should take some time in our weekly family meeting to connect their generation with the generations that came before. 

One of the speakers at conference talked about family history work.  (actually looking at my notes several of them made reference to it).  It really hasn't been our season of life to do much with family history, but I think we are growing as a family and we can start into it a little more.  I realize that this blog is a great blessing to my family.  A record of what we have done and how we have felt on this great adventure in Brazil.  I really look forward to printing it out and looking back on it all when it is all done. 

Felix said something cute and thoughtful to me while I watched the second session.  I was curled up with my iPad on the couch and the kids were doing various other things going back and forth.  One of the times Felix peeked over the couch and put his head on my shoulder and kind of sighed when he said, "I like this video," (referring the conference), "I feel like I am in the Jesus time."  Sweet kid! 

Epilogue:  Then Felix said, "When I grow up will you teach me to use that thing that moves the snow around?"  (the snowblower).  "Of course, Felix, I will teach you how to use it when you grow up."  Now we have to print out the blog so I can read this in about 10 years and I can remember to do it!




4 comments:

  1. Love Felix. Give him a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conference was great. Glad you were able to see it. Did Jamison catch the priesthood meeting? I've heard in several talks counsel to the youth. Be strong in face of adversity. As though the youth will face even strong opposition in the near future. Teach them now how to tell right from wrong. President Monson said tonight to the youth (applies to all of us) if you're in a place you shouldn't be, GET OUT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive hand knitting! Elder Walker's talk about our common British ancestors, Robert and Maria Harris, fits right in with your family history adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a great day. The hand knitting impresses me. Great job kids!

    ReplyDelete