Saturday, April 26, 2014

Stay at home Saturday

         So we will be traveling again next week.  It could be our last vacation in Brazil.  (Except for the World Cup games).  But it might be the last involving the kids and the beach.  So we had another Saturday at home.  No worries, I got my workout in, Jamison got his bike ride in (he actually wore a long sleeve jersey because it was almost a bit chilly.)      


Today was the book fair at the school.  Abby had a little opera called The Mouse and the Lion.  The class made it up about some hunters and lions and mice.  The Lions get trapped and the Mice help them out.  It was cute.  Abby was very worried that she would not be able to participate since today (Saturday) was her first day back to school for the week.    Here is the video.  

We thought it would just be easier to leave the other kids at home.  So it was just me in the audience.  And despite not knowing where she was supposed to be and wandering off the stage and then coming back on much later, she did great!  I was reminiscing about the other Operas my kids have done.  Oliver did one with the Amazing Mrs. Thomas at Tolman and Grace did one the same year with Spectrum at Centerville.  It was a little crazy for me since I was the co-helper for costumes for Grace's whole class and the piano player for Oliver's.  For Abby's I didn't have to do a single thing but show up and enjoy the show. 

We went to the Book Fair after and found some great books in Portuguese that we love in English.  The Giving Tree.  Quiet as a Cricket.  Slowly, Slowly, Slowly.  And plus some stories by Monteiro Lobato, a famous Brazilian children's author. 

We came home for a nice lunch of leftovers.  You gotta love leftovers.  It was a beautiful sunny day, but actually not hot.  So Jamison took the kids out to the park.  I came later after getting the laundry hung up.  I tried only putting in half a load and they still didn't get dry.  (Big Sigh.) We played a little soccer because the gate was actually open to the field.  They usually keep it locked to protect the grass, but we were lucky today! 

Later that afternoon it was Grace's turn to go to the Book Fair.  She was assigned to be there from 3:30-4:30  (but forgot that she really needed to be there at 3:10 to play the piano, another sigh.)  Grace and I had fun together, she told me about her projects.  Then we went down and watching a cool shadow puppet show, freeze flash mob (where everyone "in on it" freezes when someone blows a whistle, leaving all the people who are "out of it" -like me -  wondering what the heck is going on, percussion demonstration, and then an awesome Capoeira demonstration too.  


      I do not know what I have done to the blog today but the text is going in really strange.  (And not my usual TYPO  kind of strange!)
It keeps giving me columns when I type enter.  
   
"My Mom is Out of this World!"


When we came home we found this.  Jamison and his stickers.

This isn't just any sticker collection. 
This is a big deal.  Most of the day at work on Friday was spent swapping stickers.  You buy a book, then buy the stickers separately, then put them on each country's page until you fill it up (or at least your favorite teams up.)  Then you trade with other like minded folks to help them and help yourself fill up your pages.  Jamison trades at work (I am sure only at break time!), he trades after church, and he is dying to trade with the huge group of 20-40 people that meet at the gas station.  It has been fun to fill up the pages and get to know the teams for the World Cup.  The kids at church were pretty excited to trade cards with Jamison to get him the full US team stickers. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the Book Fair! (even more because there are portuguese books!)

    ReplyDelete