From 8/24/13
We had planned a trip to Ilha Bela. About 2 hour drive to a ferry then to drive around the island. Things were going according to plan until after Jamison's call to work this Saturday morning he needed to go into work.
We called a family meeting. Everyone was in attendance, but apparently not paying attention. It was decided to go to work with Dad and do some things in Taubate. But Oliver still kept asking even late afternoon when we were going to Ilha Bela, I guess change is especially difficult for some kids.
We had a great time in Taubate. The kids played outdoor billiards and foosball while we waited for Jamison at work. Then around 1:30 we were really hungry
We had lunch at Cantina Indiani, great playground for kids with an old vespa and tractor in the back (plus merry go round, slides and play house) they have a very good buffet at lunch. The steak is SO good! They have polenta fries and mandioca tater tots, but today I couldn't get over the steak, picanha com alho, steak with garlic. It is by the kilo buffet and I had a full plate and it was only $10. We just ate slow let the kids play and had a lovely lunch. (kids= younger four, Grace values good food more than an awesome tractor.)
We then went to Sitio Picapau. It is a park with huge old trees and an old restored house of the children's author Moteiro Lobato. (He is like the Dr Seuss of Brazil) We were trying to decide if it was worth the time and money to go since we only had 90 minutes before they closed. Then we saw it was free and there is no financial risk there. We saw a little play, they had craft for the kids, a small gift shop, and a small museum.
The grounds have sculptures of different characters from Lobato's work. I really wanted a book with Lobato's work, but they only had books written by him but about the Minotaur and Dom Quixote, I wanted the one about the little naughty doll, the girl with the upturned nose, the cornstalk count, and the grandma (yes those are all the characters)
After that we found the best ceramics shop that just happened to be having a festival. Such a great collection at prices that I could let everyone pick out their favorite (with 5 kids that is pretty good). I found the creche/nativity that I have been looking for since last Christmas too.
We went back to work for Jamison to pick up his computer (and check his uploads). We had a small tour, as we were walking into the building all the children ran ahead, it occurred to both Jamison and I that we have a lot of kids! We usually have them walking around us, but from that perspective it sure seemed like a lot. The kids loved the tour, they now think Jamison has the coolest job in the world! Go Engineers!








No comments:
Post a Comment