Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Own little United Nations

My dear friend, Regiane (heh-zhee-on-knee), orgainzed a surprise farewell party for me.  She is the mom of Oliver's best friend, Arthur.  She is such a special person to us. Arthur and Oliver started out as bitter enemies during our first months here.  It is easy to become enemies when you say "I hate America"  and "I hate Brazil"  to each other.  Luckily it didn't stop there. 

I talked to the teachers and the school counselor.  They talked with the other parents.  And thankfully one of the parents asked for my contact information so she could talk to me.  Of course I was anxious to talk with her.  "These people hate America!" I thought. 

And this is all happening after I fasted and prayed for Oliver to have friends.

Well  the mom invited me over for coffee, and after an awkward email explaining I am Mormon and would love to come over but I don't drink coffee and driving a crazy far away and getting through a security gate with practically no portuguese skills, I made it to her house. 

And I chatted with Regiane.  She was so sweet.  She was so understanding.  She was so great to talk to!  She had lived in Rochester NY for a few years.  She didn't know English when she moved there.  She had a one year old baby (Arthur).  She moved from Brazil to NY in December (where it is super hot summer here and super cold winter there!)  She could totally relate to the challenges of moving to a new country. 

We had a great morning chat and we have been great friends ever since.  And Oliver and Arthur have been amazingly good friends.  So prayers were truly answered. 

She invited a small group of our friends over and it turned into a full table of amazingness.  Indian Fritters with Broccoli and homemade Paneer cheese with a perfect Mint and Cilantro sauce.  Real swedish cinnamon rolls with actual coarse sugar from Sweden.  Corn Meal cream cake, Bolo de Fubá, a traditional cake for Festa Junina.  A "sushi" with crab, cucumber, and rice from Mexico.  Plus coconut cake, and chocolate cake. 

Cristina-Argentina, Kristina-America, Ana-Mexico, Regiane-Brazil, Andrea-Brazil, Frida-Sweden, Uma-India, Karin - Chile/Germany/India/Brazil.  Photography by Miles Pexton

Later I realized I was the only American at the table.  I am definitely going to miss amazing experiences like this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment