Today was our second Festa Junina. It is a Brazilian Harvest festival, and we love it.
This year we actually knew what to expect and how to prepare and it was WAY less stressful. We invited our friends, the Cahills, this year since they don't have any little kids and miss out on all the little programs they do.
This year was great. Abby started it off with a really cute little dance with a lace hanky. The picture isn't so great from far away, but here is a close up.
Next was Oliver. Oliver was excited for the "cool" part of his dance. He even wanted to teach it to me. We did it a few times at home. But today he still isn't feeling well and has a sore throat and after the dance he said every time he jumped it really hurt. I could tell he wasn't feeling up to it (but didn't mention anything to me before). And it was his last chance to do a dance with his best friend Arthur. It was hard for me to see them during the "despidida" - the farewell - part of the dance. Because our real despidida will be coming so fast.
Jamison took care of sleepy Miles on his lap. I tried to keep everyone happy with snacks (popcorn, water (boo to mom, where's the guarana!), chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate covered apples, spitinhos of beef, and chocolate swirl cake)
We took everyone home after but Grace stayed with her friends. Then I came back for the last big part of the party. It is a fake wedding done by the older students where the bride is super excited and the groom his hiding. This time they had two brides which confused me for a good part of the play. Also I had to have a friend explain to me that they were saying things in a funny accent - a country way of talking. I couldn't really tell a difference between normal and funny. I am not to that level yet.
Grace's part was at the end of the "wedding." It is a type of square dancing called quadrinha. Grace's partner dropped out at the end, and so Grace got to dance with the P.E. teacher. She wasn't super happy about that. "I'm taller than him!" she told me before. And she was in the very front of the line. And for a girl that is shy and does not want any attention or anyone looking at her, that was a pretty scary place to be. But she did great! And she was SOOOOOOO happy when it was done. "And THAT is how you Lead a QUADRILHA!!!!" She is happy to show everyone how to do it when we get home.
I also got a message from a restaurant in Utah that they celebrate Festa Junina. We will have to go next year!
Plus I mentioned to some friends at church that I really wanted to see our church Festa Junina and I missed it last year and was going to miss it this year too. Well, these dear people decided to move it to June this year just so our family could go. Can you believe 200 people would change there plans for us? I am so touched and excited to celebrate with them one last time.
Wonderful! It looks like fun!
ReplyDelete