Friday, October 19, 2012

A Fruit Paradise

I must start with something Jamison thinks is so cool.

Jamison on TV  Well, it is an article about a TV clip.  That tall man standing back by the silver car, by the railing.  That is Jamison.  And he is in front of the police station while someone is filming him for a report on the police strike.  Thank HEAVENS it didn't delay the registering we had to do that day.  We registered more than half the family this day, and then the rest a few days later.

We are preparing for a time change tomorrow.  It is spring here and so we Spring Forward.  (For those who don't know I detest time changes.  When we lived in Japan the sun rose at 4 am and they never changed the time for it!)  So we have just be getting a normal night's rest after transitioning to Brazil time.  My poor kids have had dark circles under there eyes.  And now we have to get up an hour earlier.  Oh my.

But I haven't stressed and bemoaned and vilified time changes this time.  I have just prepared for it.  We get up 15 minutes earlier each day and go to bed 15 minutes earlier each night.  It is actually working.  I'm so grateful!

So since we were up bright and early this morning we decided to take the kids to the big market.  I was worried we would lose a kid or two in the crowd but it wasn't as bad as I imagined.  First we had to walk past the fish vendors.  Poor kids.  Then we had to walk the hall of bananas, poor Grace (she is terrified of bananas.)  Then we walked down the avenue of vegetables.  I really thought my kids were trembling!  Luckily the avenue of vegetables ended in a toy vendor and we bought some Ben 10 (knock off) Uno game cards. 

Finally we walked down the Lane of Fruit.  And Oliver exclaims, "It's a FRUIT PARADISE!"  He was in heaven, mangos, pineapple, apples, kiwis, grapes, strawberries, peaches, oranges, guava.  He really was in heaven.  We bought as much as we could carry.  And when I get home I always wish I had bought  more (it goes pretty quickly around here.)

The afternoon was spent . . .

Driving 90 minutes to take 5 minutes to sign some documents.  At least it is something checked off the list.

Me getting lost on the wrong exit off the freeway.  Again!  At least this detour wasn't 30 minutes only 5.

And Jamison having to stay late to work and needing to go back to work on Saturday.  Oh well.  It really is what he is here to do.  And the kids have been such great helpers with tidying up and helping out. 

We spent the afternoon riding bikes with some neighbors (expats like us.)  I loved that their amazingly bilingual 7 year old daughter yells, "The Americans are coming!  The Americans are coming!"  As we walked/rode up to their house.  Their family is American too. 

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to tell about the "amazing" corn candy. They had a candy vendor and we all picked out a candy to try. Mostly the little wrapped hard candy. I some one with a cob of corn on it and was curious. It was amazingly horrible. It tasted just like corn on the cob in a little candy. I could not stand it and I LOVE corn on the cob. Felix begged to eat it and I said NO. Then when I wasn't looking he ate it! And he was fine. He wasn't gagging like me. Give me Candy Corn any day but NEVER corn candy!

    ReplyDelete