So I slipped on our stairs and landed on my arm. It took me a couple of days to get help going to the doctor but today I did. I was impressed with the hospital. It took an hour and forty five minutes to be all done. My friend was amazing! She translated, she helped register me, she got out her iPad to entertain my boys and her 5 year old, she stayed the whole time while we waited and she has plenty to do! I was so humbled and grateful today. And it turns out my arm isn't broken just a deep bruise. Yay!
It also turns out that I can help bring her 9th grader home from school, and she will be able to help bring Oliver home from Ping Pong. Yay! A Car Pool.
I also mustered enough courage to fill up the car with gas here. I still have pretty much no idea what people say. So I said the magic word that some expats taught me, Completa. And they still ask me more questions. Argh. So I just smiled and said I don't understand and tried to sign with my hands, "Just put whatever gas you want in this car I just want the "empty" light to go off and not be stranded on a busy Brazilian street with everyone honking at me." And so they did. And at one point I had to sign, "Stop filling it up I don't have enough money to keep paying for it!" It got up to $75 US. Luckily the understood that too. They were so nice and we got on our way. And they empty light did go off. And I didn't get stranded on a Brazilian street, well, almost. I did stall on a steep hill and cause a bit of a delay and utter panic in my children. And for some reason the twins didn't fall asleep. Which leads us to . . . .
5 tired, cranky kids in a hot and humid house HOURS until dinner time. We already played Portuguese treasure hunt to help the kids with their vocabulary. And cleaning their rooms and putting away laundry for some reason didn't make them leap with joy. So I humbled myself even more and asked my neighbor (who offered her pool to us in the past) if 5 tired, cranky kids could come to her house. She was home, AND said yes! We were saved!
I still had to talk some kids into it. What?!?!? But we made it. And despite her having two dogs and my terrified children, we made it to the pool. And it was heaven. We had a blast! And I'm so sorry I didn't remember to take the camera. Abby was doing cannonballs into the pool with an inflated ring. It was awesome. Felix and Miles were jumping in to me. Miles learned to jump in without me holding his hands (I still catch him but I don't have to hold his hands while he is jumping). And Felix practically leaps off the edge and knocks me over. So no relaxing for me in the pool this time, but we had a great time and I was SO grateful for a great neighbor!
No comments:
Post a Comment