Thursday, October 18, 2012
Never Easy
I had a meeting with the school this morning. It was a routine meeting they do for the new students to see how they are adjusting. I am so glad they do this so as a parent I know more of what is going on at school than what my children tell me. Oliver's self reports are all about his Bey Blade battles and how he wants to play ping pong as a sport. Grace is all about how less people are touching her hair and she likes that. Abby is all about the girl with pink glasses. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is the pink-glasses girl touching her hair which is bad.
So it is good to hear from the counselor who has a better adult perspective, even if it is tough to hear. I don't think it is very fair to the kids to tell the world about the kids personal problems, but I'll just say we have a few things to fix.
I was grateful for laundry today that I could fold. It gave me some quiet meditative time that was still productive to think of how we can improve. The twins watched Dora in Portuguese while I folded.
Sometimes I do feel like some of the pioneers. They were on their way west to a new life. It took great faith to endure incredible challenges. In perspective my problems are nothing like theirs. But I heard a quote a while ago that came to mind today. "Are you willing to pull your own handcart, but some days it feels like everyone else has climbed into it? The whole burden is yours, with everyone depending on you to pull. " -Elaine S. Marshall.
I know that I am not alone in pulling my cart and whatever burdens or loved ones may be on board. It just feels heavy at times.
Do you ever feel that way? Like you don't have the strength you need for new challenges. And some how you decide to keep moving forward. And some how you find new strength you didn't know you had.
So let's choose a direction and get moving. Grace needs Portuguese tutoring at home. Abby needs more practice writing and reading in English by yours truly. Oliver, oh, Oliver. Maybe he needs more ping pong in his life. Maybe he needs his own arc reactor so he can build himself a real iron man suit like he has asked for. Hmmm, ping pong sounds great!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment