Sunday, October 28, 2012

Is it worth it?


Ok, we were late to church today, again. But it was much better than not going at all. I was working steadily for an hour to get everyone there. Ironing shirts. Choosing dresses. Doing hair. Finding shoes. Resolving squabbles. And I thought if I just skip dong my hair than I think we will make it.

Until life happened. Felix, who has been doing great going potty, ran in the bathroom doing the potty dance, but totally dressed for church. Well somehow he didn't get his position right as he sat down because he succeeded in peeing on his pants, underwear AND shirt. Such a thorough boy. Now I needed to completely dress another kid. And that's when I had my little cry for the day. Was this all worth it?

As it turns out, yes.

Jamison, sadly, had to work today. But the kids were so good in church. Ok, I guess good is relative. Miles was so good that the crumpled paper balls he made out of the notebook paper he was supposed to be drawing on didn't hit anyone when he thought it would be fun to throw them. But the older three kids were so good when I had to take the boys to the bathroom before the meeting had ended. I didn't have to worry. They were all quietly occupied. What a blessing.

At the end of church the bishop (leader of the congregation) ask to talk with me. And this is where it is worth all the effort of going to church. He said he and another leader saw me in church. The other leader was impressed how good the kids were and said it was like magic. My bishop said, no, it is her hard work.

I can't tell you how much that meant to me. That this man in another country in a totally different culture would have the kindness and understanding to recognize that it is a lot of hard work, constant hard work. I even had the thought come to me while all the kids were quietly working. I had sewn these activity books before the trip to hold crayons, notebooks, even a chalkboard. It took hours of my time before we left. But it was something I really wanted to do, thinking it would help on the plane. It was a lot of work to make them, and it is still a little work to keep them from getting lost and stocked with supplies they need. But hard work does pay off.



This kind bishop also said how he loves to watch my children always wanting to be near me. Always running to me. In another time and place I would want a little of ME time, give me a little space. But this is a time to treasure that they do want to be near me, even if it is just because I am the only one who speaks English.

But to all the other hard working, tireless parents out there. Keep up the amazing work because it is worth it and you doing something amazing!


He also asked if I would accept the calling (volunteer position) of playing piano in primary. Yay! And if I would help every 3 months with an activity for kids ages 8-12. Sure. I better get working on that Portuguese.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got a calling! You can translate the words of the songs to learn more Portuguese :-)

    ReplyDelete