"Too many of my aunts and uncles have written only the good stuff that happened in their lives when I know they’ve had tragedies and trials. I’ve learned more from the mistakes in my life than I have from my successes, though it didn’t feel like it when I was making them!" From my Aunt Kay
I got this from a great letter from my Aunt Kay today. It reminds me that in creating a record / blog it doesn't all have to be happy sunshiny! It is like Abby eating the birthday cake, my initial reaction is "Things are great." Then I think a little more and "Well, maybe not great."
But I'm so grateful for such simple things right now that I didn't have time for before. So life is fundamentally good.
But there are still some feelings that are creeping in of homesickness and missing family and friends. It has been a slow transition, but it is realizing that this isn't a vacation. It isn't some extended trip to an exotic locale. This is life in the long term.
Yes, in the big picture we will be back to the life we hold dear in the place where are roots still are. But right now I can't help but miss things. So I won't dwell on them but here are some things we miss.
(And as a side, the kids don't complain about anything, so I don't talk about what a wuss I am to them. I think there is a problem with being so connected with Facebook, and blogs and seeing pictures of what we are missing.)
Fall Leaves (apparently it has been a spectacular year for Autumn Colors this year)
Blueberry Muffins (but I was just told today that a market sells blueberries, so when I get brave enough to bake something I might pick some up)
Understanding what people are saying (they are usually so nice to me in the store and I wish I knew what they were saying. The once I was with my Brazilian friend she said, "They said what a large group of blondes you are." We really do stick out.)
Halloween Festivities (I'm not making any costumes this year. I'm sure Jamison is exstatic about that one! But I'm a little sad. No sewing machine. And fabric here is too expensive. Don't I say that enough. Sorry.)
Salsa
Tortilla Chips
Big Bags of Frozen Food - I miss my strawberries and blueberries in amazingly large quantities.
Cupcakes with Amazing Frosting
Well that is enough going down that road. Jamison did bring home some muffins for me (with good chocolate inside). I will do a Halloween Activity for the school (not quite the same as bobbing for donuts on a string, sigh.) And I have been contemplating making a sun hat into a witches hat. I made some of my own mango salsa. I will start Portuguese lessons tomorrow.
So please know that you are all loved and missed by us. And don't post any pictures of food or eat while we are Video Chatting. It is just too cruel!
No comments:
Post a Comment