Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The power of words.

I am learning a little portuguese. But it is helping in a big way.

I had a few words to the vocabulary each day and a whole new world of understanding opens up. Do you know that garagem means garage? And finally I saw that on a sign and recognized it wasn't just a name of a place, but it actually a word!

It is exciting to me. I wonder if this is what it feels like to start reading as a child. All those shapes you have seen all your life actually mean something. Amazing.

It was also very helpful to learn porta, door. By knowing just that one word I could look up info in the car manual for the child lock on the door. It wasn't easy but eventually I figured out how to change it so Abby could actually open the door on her own and not have to wait for me. I am so happy, she is so happy. All because of knowing one word.

Just imagine what I could do with a whole sentence!

1 comment: